[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 12 01:37:48 EST 2019

Glen writes:

"And I've heard people talk about *engaging* with Trumpists and  trying to tease apart whatever good or bad the ecology associated with Trump has done or not done. But I fail every time I try. How do you crack open that layered chitin an Ismist accretes around their self without killing them?"

Perhaps it is my training as a cultural anthropologist and ethnographer, but I have no trouble productively engaging is "ismists" of all persuasions, often in the same day. As an anthropologist I am pretty much an absolute cultural relativist and abhor ethnocentrism. Also, I would not presume to attempt to "crack open that layered chitin" of another until and unless I had shattered my own shell.

davew