[FRIAM] culture vs things (was: capitalism vs. individualism)

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 12 01:54:14 EST 2019

Software development (not computer science or software engineering) should be the most "people" oriented profession out there. Software is written collaboratively by people. Software affects every aspect of other people's lives: work, play, love, ... . More software failures are caused by people, or more accurately by lack of understanding of people.

Sarcasm ahead:
People are harder than "things" and the "boys" that made computer science and software engineering what it is today, are afraid of the hard stuff.

At the end of WWII, England was the most advanced country in the world in terms of computer/software technology. And there were far more women in the field than men.  A government edict drove the women from the discipline (actually made it semi-illegal to hold jobs in the field). Et Voila — England lost the lead and is a relative backwater.

davew