[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 13 04:48:11 EST 2019

Nick - "all this relativist talk" ?? Not sure what you are referring to.
Also, what parts of the responsibility in digital space conversation do you find harrowing and why?

While waiting for your response, a reflection on your questions:

1) If you value "a liberal democracy" and perceive it to be at risk, you are called on to defend it in direct proportion to its degree of value up to and including life, fortune, and sacred honor.

2) Whether the time has come, is your question to decide and act upon, for yourself. If you are wondering if a cohort of individuals with similar perceptions and values exists and if that cohort might benefit from overt association and collective action, that is quite a different issue and question.

4) Personal sacrifices up to and including the last phrase of response 1), plus the quite important sacrifice of accepting that you might be fundamentally wrong; i.e. you might have to sacrifice your values, your "truths."

3) Tools? Ah, there's the rub. In a very real sense, there are no tools. Whatever tool you use, whatever act you take; by definition, will change the very thing you are "defending" — just as the act of observation determines wave or particle. You might create a spectrum of harm; tools that will destroy the "liberal democracy" (the AK-47, the arrogance of the "woke," the absurdity of the "cancel culture") to those tools that interfere the least (mild persuasion, shining example) and choose among them as suits you.

Reading between the lines of your comment and question set, in the context of the Trump-Brexit-Nationalism-Fundamentalism-Planet-Melting conversation at large — my diagnosis is the the world (and our liberal democracy) is suffering from an extreme overdose of "Truth." (You might remember my screed, of a year ago, about the Evil Truth and the terrorism of 'rational discussion'.)

Two possible cures: teach everyone to speak and think-in a language that does not include a copula; or, have everyone experience a threshold dose of LSD or DMT.

davew