[FRIAM] Chaos Scientist Finds Hidden Financial Risks That Regulators Miss Oxford Professor Doyne Farmer is working with central banks to improve stress testing.

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Nov 15 14:59:26 EST 2019

Stress testing is the activity of subjecting a potential investment strategy to plausible volatility from the market.    There is a record of what the market has done in the past, so one way to do stress testing is to do retrodiction on many different past periods to see how well the strategy performs.  One doesn't cheat in that testing (peek into the known future to train the model), beyond the recognition that the strategy must integrate knowledge of how markets work.   That kind of circularity exists in science.  Where does a hypothesis come from if not from past experience?

A limitation of this kind of protocol is that every bit of data one uses for training must be kept separate from the data one uses for testing.  While cross validation is possible -- using different training and testing subsets -- at the end of the day history only tells you what has happened not what could happen.

Generative machine learning techniques can learn many-body joint probabilities of market events like price moves of different instruments.   Using these techniques one can generate not just a tape recording of what happened, but plausible looking trading patterns that share similar patterns -- like might occur in the future.   For ABM to be better, it seems to me, there has to be the possibility that a modeler can imagine subtleties of individual behaviors that, when coupled together, create phenomena that has never been seen on markets where equities can trade dozens of times a second.   Such a simulation could involve hundreds, or even thousands of types of traders each with their own evolving motivations.   Never mind the difficulty of implementing such a model, how could those rules be learned if not inferred from data?   How does one presume to know the motivations and resources of traders that often take active measures to hide themselves, e.g. disguise their price impact?

Perhaps this is more of an explanatory (academic) effort, positing that stress testing is possible using relatively simple models.   That's a nice hypothesis, maybe it even could explain a lot of variation, and the result of that would be satisfying, and a contribution to theory.   I expect practitioners have a different, higher, bar.

Marcus