[FRIAM] flattening -isms

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 09:52:22 EST 2019

Ha! You raise two excellent points:

1) Is "a beer" a portion of a given volume or a massive noun?  https://youtu.be/cf0y2pVw6Tk Or perhaps it refers to different batches, distinguished by the process (ingredients, mash, boil, distribution)? But what if you're a macro brewery and your quality control is so tight that there's almost 0 difference between batches?

2) Would a monist object to the idea that we could distinguish a 1.001 pluralist from a 1001 pluralist? After all the only difference between having 1001 types of thing and 1.001 types of thing is scaling. So, the real difference would be spectral pluralist vs. continuum pluralist. So, we'd need to find a pluralist who thought there were an irrational number of thing types.

This episode was rather nice: "Does Life Need a Multiverse to Exist?" <https://youtu.be/YmOVoIpaPrc?t=404> Up to that point, he's relying on an intuitive orthogonality between the forces and constants ... a typical misunderstanding of the "fine-tuning" argument. He goes on (from the time I included in the URL) to hint at the unified, *relational* sense of the argument. And he mentions it specifically later, I think in talking about how string theory tries to generate the different properties from the One True Substance. 8^)