[FRIAM] flattening -isms

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 17 12:01:49 EST 2019

Steve,

Apparently the modern definition of apocryphal is “widely circulated though probably untrue” .  Nothing that we have said about Hywel (so far) is untrue.  We need a word for “widely circulated and true”.  Notorious?

As you know, I love etymology.  Here from etymology on line:

apocrypha (n.)

late 14c., Apocrifa, in reference to the apocryphal books of the Bible, from Late Latin apocrypha (scripta), from neuter plural of apocryphus "secret, not approved for public reading," from Greek apokryphos "hidden; obscure, hard to understand," thus "(books) of unknown authorship" (especially those included in the Septuagint and Vulgate but not originally written in Hebrew and not counted as genuine by the Jews), from apo "off, away" (see apo- <https://www.etymonline.com/word/apo-?ref=etymonline_crossreference> ) + kryptein "to hide" (see crypt <https://www.etymonline.com/word/crypt?ref=etymonline_crossreference> ).

Non-Biblical sense "writing of doubtful authorship or authenticity" is from 1735. Properly plural (the single would be Apocryphon or apocryphum), but commonly treated as a collective singular.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/