[FRIAM] So disjointed

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Nov 19 13:11:55 EST 2019

It is interesting to speculate as to how much of the disjointedness of
our discussions/threads here are the result of lossy communications at
the remailer/spam-filter level.

After trying various spam-filter tools and heuristics back in the day
when they first emerged, I settled on using Thunderbird's tools with the
default that suspected spam is marked but not moved automatically.  This
leads me to (usually) visually scan suspected spam, leaving the the
chance to catch false positives.   I make it a habit to attempt to
unsubscribe from mail lists I prefer NOT to get mail from before marking
it as spam.

I am fascinated by the contrast between the various qualities of the
spam I do get and which types seem to elude my spam filter.

I myself do  experience what appears to be mail-reflector drops,
recognizing them *mostly* by seeing larded comments in a reply that I
did not see in it's original.   I also believe I sometimes experience
*delays* where the original post does come through, but *after* one or
more responses to it.   When larding is used well, this is not too
confusing... unlarded/included responses can be puzzling.

I'm glad to hear that others here are not aware that their own spam
filters may be contributing to the confusion.