[FRIAM] means of production take 2

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 11:11:05 EST 2019

Yes, I am most definitely concentrating on the *right* to destroy (my *claim* over something), not merely the ability to destroy something that others may have claim/right to/over. So, your text below is largely unrelated to my sense of "right to destroy". The mere *ability* to deprive another is NOT what I'm talking about.

Suicide is an important case. If anyone can lay an unarguable claim to *anything*, surely it must be their own body. Hence, suicide should always be legal. But but but but, consider my case, where I've lived with Renee' for so long and have even "survived" cancer, if I think about my extended self ... the full extension of "me" into the world, if I kill myself, I will be doing damage not only to her psyche, but to her ability to pay the mortgage, her ability to retain some friendships, go with me on business trips, etc. Add to that, the idea that my society facilitated my education, my skill set, etc. So, I have a duty to participate and "give back". So suicide is dereliction of duty as well.

Those extensions of my body into her life (and others' lives), muddies my *right* to my own body ... There's a strong argument that I do not own my body.

It's these *extensions* that I think are being implied by the division of production into modes, means, and relations. And, what's worse, is that even though I've inferred this from you (and Marcus), you won't recognize it when I repeat it back to you. 8^)