[FRIAM] query and observation

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 13 05:11:49 EDT 2019

this is the FRIAM I knew and loved,

As one of the deluded ones claiming direct, non intermediated, perception of that which is behind Hoffman's interface, his arguments are not surprising. Blaming the existence of the interface on evolution was kind of new and interesting.

It is the juxtaposition, entirely coincidental, of Hoffman with Heidegger, Gadamer, and the whole hermeneutic school of philosophy that caused the greatest amount of thinking. Although not a hermeneuticist per se, Peirce seems to be at minimum, a fellow traveler.

The claim by Hoffman, and all the physicists he cites, that the only thing we can know is the interface and whatever is behind that interface is not what everyone thinks it is, i.e. Objective Reality˛— seems to parallel the hermeneutic position that all we can know is the interpretation and whatever is behind the interpretation is not what every thinks it is, i.e. Truth.

Nick's monism seems. to me, to be similar with Behavior more or less the same thing as Interface or Interpretation.

Hoffman's argument that, because we are all humanoids and share the same spot in the evolutionary sequence, we share a common, mostly,  Interface made me think immediately of Rupert Sheldrake and morphogenetic fields.

It is not the book, in itself, it is the connections that are fascinating.

davew