[FRIAM] Optimization problem

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Sep 20 19:48:16 EDT 2019

Gary -

I understand better now...

I definitely agree that the *most* naive eyeballing methods can be
excruciatingly wasteful.

I presume that your conduit length requirements are not precise... that
you might be designing them to allow for leaving the window partially
open but otherwise not subject to intrusion or compromise?  That seems
to complicate the problem but may pose opportunities.  In particular,
*I* might be looking for solutions which leave me with a *minimum* of
leftover conduit by making them longer than their shortest possibles in
some cases.  Or looking at it the other way, even if you don't need to
leave the windows open much when "locked" a more complete use of the
material might be obtained by relaxing the length a little without
compromising security (if a given window can only be opened a few inches
for example).

I will be interested in hearing the results of whatever optimization (or
satisficing) method you use yields.

- Steve

PS. regarding guerin's solution, an alternate would be to measure as
suggested, then cut naively until the remaining spaces are larger than
the remaining pieces.  Only *then* does one break out the welder and
begin to piece together as-needed.   I don't think these are equivalent.
  It also occurs to me that *2* pieces of conduit (end to end, unwelded)
in a window channel might be *nearly* as effective as a single piece,
albeit less elegant?