[FRIAM] RedState/BlueState OneState/TwoState

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 14:36:48 EDT 2020

Aha! Found it:

Why Germany's Coronavirus Death Rate Is Far Lower Than In Other Countries
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/820595489/why-germanys-coronavirus-death-rate-is-far-lower-than-in-other-countries

So, I suppose the (hypothetical) causal flow goes something like: federated system allows for first-past-the-post test development, lots of early testing leads to more accurate estimates of infected, leads to finer grained response (including earlier realization about asymptomatic transmission).

But this sounds a bit like rationalization to me. The causation centers on lots of testing, however that testing arises. A centralized system that ramps up testing quickly would have the same result. In the case of the US, our federation did NOT result in a ramp up of early testing (well, it did here ... UW did the lion's share of early testing here in WA, but not over the entire federation of states). So our federal system will see the *bad* of being a federation, but not the good ... at least until after the poor and frail die and those of us who survive can rationalize about how our diversity makes us so healthy.

--
☣ uǝlƃ