[FRIAM] anthropological observations

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:56:02 EDT 2020

I've often wondered about accusations that corporatism and fascism are fundamentally linked. Umberto Eco's essay on Ur-Fascism always seemed to be the best circumscription, to me. But I've seen many others talk about the breakdown of the boundary between government and corporations as a hallmark of fascist regimes (e.g. the current situation where Trump blocked money for the USPS in the covid19 stimulus). Eco's main attributes go something like the below (mostly my own summary phrases). How does corporatism fit in?

1) traditionalism
2) rejection of modernism/irrationalism
3) action for action's sake
4) dissent is treason
5) xenophobia
6) appeal to frustrated middle class
7) conspiracy theories
8) the (elite) enemy is both too strong and too weak
9) permanent warfare
10) exceptionalism
11) hero worship
12) machismo and fixed gender roles