[FRIAM] anthropological observations

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 13:27:21 EDT 2020

I agree. Nate's not much more rigorous than the rest of us. And just like Justin Bieber or Britney Spears, he was probably ill-equipped to handle the steep increase in fame. Morlocks don't handle that sort of thing very well. We can get confused about who we are and what we do, maybe even listening too seriously to the imputations of others ... telling us what it is we do, defining it for us. Then, when things go a bit South, or we're allowed to toil in darkness for awhile, we remember what it is we do and how it's different from what they told us we were doing.

The trick is whether one wants to *tell* Nate what he does or *listen* to him describe what he does. If his story changes too much, then he's an unreliable narrator and we're free to ignore his narrative. But if there's an underlying stability, then that's the thing to understand.

And I'm totally with you on falsification. It's a debugging staple. Before you can tell whether something's doing what it's supposed to do, you have to well-formulate what it's *supposed* to do. If you can't formulate what you think should happen, then you'll have no idea if what happened should have happened. And I think you could have easily *predicted* that anyone who guesses "heads", then the coin lands on "heads", tends to think they "got it right". And if it lands on "tails", they don't think "I got it wrong". They think "do it again". Nate's no different.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with you about Epstein's argument, though. But that's a story for the other thread that Eric's tugged loose. I'll give my take on it if I can formulate it in under 300 words.

--
☣ uǝlƃ