[FRIAM] anthropological observations

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sat Apr 18 17:35:03 EDT 2020

Yes, both Eric C. and Marcus have already answered this better than what I am about to say, because they have already abstracted it into concepts.  But I will put only a particular.

I got this from the polymath Elwyn Berlekamp (who did run a hedge fund) in the kitchen on an Erdos-like visit by him to Santa Fe.

The conceptually phrased problem is: what is the deterministic response (“a practice”) to a distributional input as object?

Suppose you are playing a betting game, and you know the set of possible outcomes, and the probabilities of each.  (Can be poker, though that is complicated enough to take work to describe.  A simple double-or-nothing roulette would be a minimal model).

You have some money.  You can put some of your money as a bet for as many outcomes as you want.  Bets have some smallest denomination, so it is possible for you to lose everything for some allocations.  How do you allocate?

1. If you want to maximize your expected payoff in one play, you put all your money on whichever outcome is most likely.

2. If you wish to play repeatedly, and you want to both avoid going broke and to maximize your long-term payout, you bet a fraction of your money proportional to the probability of each outcome (or as close as you can get to that with your finite denomination), in every round.  I think one of the Bernoullis solved this in 1700-something, and it is widely taught.  I was just raised in a woodshed, so I didn’t know about it until Elwyn came by.  Your expected rate of growth of your pot is proportional to the relative entropy between your distribution of bets and the distribution of probabilities of the various outcomes.  I’m pretty sure this is in Cover and Thomas’s Elements of Information Theory.  If your starting pot is finite, your probability of survival to round-N is some other function, now of both distributions and how finely you can divide the money, and there is some distribution of likely survival times that can also be computed.  (Remember that there is no way you can be assured to survive; if you make bad distributions and lose more than you gain in too many rounds, you will eventually have too little to be able to place nonzero bets on every outcome with your nonzero denomination, and will start to run nonzero risks of losing all.)

Ole Peters has built a whole privately-funded institute on this specific metaphor, which he packages in terms of expected utility:
http://lml.org.uk/people/ole-peters-2/ <http://lml.org.uk/people/ole-peters-2/>
But of course endlessly more sophisticated variants are developed in almost any field I can think of.

So, for elections?  Maybe something about investment in state and local organizing, how much attention the national committee gives to on-the-ground organizations and what they say their constituents are asking for, capture of congressional seats, a strategic view of what happens if legislatures won’t make laws so that court interpretations become the de facto origins of legal-precedent-as-new-law, feeding back to which elections are consequential.  Stuff like that.

Of course, for all of those things, more is always better.  But on a budget, how you prioritize the time/attention/work you can get out of citizens to support your projects should depend on what the mechanics of the process is through time.

Eric