[FRIAM] IS: "...useful". WAS:: whackadoodles go mainstream!

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:04:16 EDT 2020

Sure, I'll bite, since I'm waiting for criticism of a recent status report.

My naïve first attempt is to say that which is useful is that which *I* can use to make things do what I want them to do. E.g. program a computer to output data with a particular quality. In comparing 1) the attribution of qualities of the world to a mysterious god to 2) picking apart the features of the world and identifying ways to manipulate them, then it seems clear to me the latter helps me manipulate the world more than the former.

Even *if* I were trying to be a cult leader, I think I'd find more success being a Dr. Oz (or Gwyneth Paltrow or Wim Hoff) than a Reverend Moon. Manipulating the world through the *mediation* of a huge swath of morons seems difficult *if* your targets are particular outcomes. Blanket, vague "burn it down" or "trend toward True" manipulation is *not* what I would deem useful. Making a metal duck that shits is the type of thing I'm after. Things that help me construct metal, shitting ducks are useful.

--
☣ uǝlƃ