[FRIAM] New information on COVID-19

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Apr 23 22:38:39 EDT 2020

Merle, et al -

Interesting article...

> We’ve had two life-threatening incidents, one trekking in Nepal and
> the other in a remote part of Sri Lanka, where the availability of a
> pulse oximeter made all the difference. We now routinely check our
> oxygenation with one.
>
> Ed

I have had some experience with a mountaineering spO2 meter and a
Withings fitness monitor with built in spO2... the fitness monitor
required removing the unit from the band and holding it diligently
against the pad of a finger, and that didn't always give a good reading,
but once I understood it's idiosyncracies it wasn't bad.  both devices
are long-since nonfunctional (not to be worn swimming or in the shower
it seems).

It seems like IOT wearables (already saturating the market for fitness
applications) like my Withings could be getting better.  Maybe even
good-enough to be useful in predicting/monitoring/tracking COVID19
symptoms/onset, at least statistically...

There is some precedent with the Kinsa effort to use their IOT
thermometer data to predict abnormal levels of  influenza-like symptoms
<https://healthweather.us/?mode=Atypical>.

There seem to be a number of pulse-oximeter fitness trackers.

    https://3dinsider.com/pulse-oximeter-fitness-trackers/

The Oura ring <https://ouraring.com/ucsf-tempredict-study>'s body
temperature sensing has already been pressed into service for a study.
I don't know if the "band" form factor is able to maintain good enough
skin-contact to be consistent...

I just did a search on the topic
<https://www.google.com/search?q=fitness+activity+tracker+covid&oq=fitness+activity+tracker+covid&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.6879j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
and found a number of speculative popular articles on the topic, but
haven't had time to dig through them.

This was one of the more promising:

    https://www.mobihealthnews.com/news/europe/fitbits-new-coronavirus-feature-can-connect-users-telemedicine-services-indoor-work-out

Our own Mohammed El-Beltagy (cc;ed here) is CTO for a Swedish company
(RaceFox <https://www.racefox.com/en/home>) doing using fitness monitors
for athletic performance enhancement.   He may be more up on the
possibilities?

- Steve