[FRIAM] Abducktion

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 12:21:32 EDT 2020

Frank,

Please ask that language-teaching daughter of yours if “impersonal” is a “voice”.  The French adore impersonals.  “Il me faut que” = I must”  “Qu-est-ce que c’est que” = “What is it” (literally “What is it that it is”  I suspect that part of why Americans are thought to be so assertive is that we use impersonals less?  Polite writers often try to obfuscate the agent of an action, making prose inpenetrable.  “It would appear that”  (Appear to whom? For God’s) sake!) And my favorite, “Mistakes were made”

In my never-to-be written book, Who Was This Old White Guy and Why Do We Need to Read His Stupid Book? (About the current implications of Strunk and White’s “Elements of Style”,  I want to explore the degree to which there are any universal dictates of clarity that go beyond  cultural dictates of deference or politeness.  White would say that “Mistakes Were Made” is unclear;  to understand what happened we need to know the agent of those mistakes.  A defender of that obfuscation might call it a “gentle style”.  Using “they”  as a gender=neutral singular deprives a writer of one of the methods by which to thread agent and recipient of action in in describing a complex scenario.  Other priorities trump clarity?  Why not?  Some times clarity isn’t faithful to a writer’s purpose.

Yet to me there is some fundamental violation, a logical contradiction, in speaking unclearly.  If one is not going to communicate a meaning unambiguously, why speak at all.  Ach!  There is a reason that 80 years is a normal lifetime.

Some day somebody is going to make a heluva lot money by writing a book entitled “Brown and White: Elements of Woke Style.”   It could be YOU! Or your daughter, for that matter.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/