[FRIAM] Abducktion

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 15:08:55 EDT 2020

Jon,

You know, in the end, I watched the whole Pinker talk.  And it was good, and
pertinent.  It seemed to be a Pragmatic[ist] take on style: we begin in the
middle and we don't walk too fast.  Or, in other words, "Have mercy on your
reader!"  I confess it's a hard lesson to learn.  Even tho it took me 7
weeks to learn what Glen meant by "Steel Man"fn, I am tempted to use the
term around people who may not have quite figured it out yet.  It makes me
feel like I am a member of the Glen-Club.

Even if the talk was delivered by a badly groomed cocker spaniel in a Lord
Fauntleroy jacket.

Nick

FN =To steelman an argument is to put it in it's best possible form BEFORE
beginning to evaluate it.  Back formation from "strawman".

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/