[FRIAM] the racist woo peddler

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:33:44 EDT 2020

On the heels of the new Lovecraft Country (https://www.hbo.com/lovecraft-country), the surge in the BLM movement (https://lithub.com/we-cant-ignore-h-p-lovecrafts-white-supremacy/), and our recent swirl around woo, "math envy" etc. I found the below letter, today [⛧].

I think I've described my own fascination with conspiracy theories and those who believe them, falsified scientific ideas (primordial carbon, evolution without selection, etc.), and the occult -- including Mormon apotheosis and the atheistic but metaphorical attachment to Gothic imagery in the Church of Satan. So this letter of an avowed materialist peddling the supernatural is interesting. It's akin to magicians skilled in magic because they don't believe in magic. (Where to put the scare quotes? Is it "magicians" skilled in "magic" but don't believe in magic? Or is it magicians skilled in magic but don't believe in "magic"?) Can we take Lovecraft at his word? Can someone so skilled in supernatural imagery seriously not believe in the supernatural? Can someone steeped so deeply in software engineering jargon really think it's all nonsense? Or is it *necessary* to be deeply entrenched in some domain in *order* to realize it's all nonsense? Are there 2 types of person: 1) she who steeps in a domain and comes out a choir member vs. 2) she who steeps in a domain and comes out a skeptic? Or are there layers and modes. E.g. when Renee' (falsely) describes me as a mathematician at a pub. If the others at the bar know what math *is*, I deny it. If the others don't know what math is, I let it slide.

A black friend of mine asked me just yesterday where I stand on the Confederate battle flag. It's still a difficult question for me. My answer can only be "Do onto others as they would have have you do onto them." So, if the damned flag is offensive to so many, it should be eliminated. But it doesn't offend *me* because I grew up with it. If such imagery is allowed to be layered and modal, don't we risk the systemic problems subtly exemplified by Lovecraft and his occult racism? Don't magicians risk their audience being too stupid to realize that magic isn't real? Don't quantum physicists risk their audience being too stupid to distinguish between woo and true? Don't machine learning experts risk crashing the discipline after the hype cycle?

[⛧] http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/correspondence/91/from-h.-p.-lovecraft-to-clark-ashton-smith-%281925-10-09%29

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ