[FRIAM] Myth of the Given

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 20 16:46:22 EDT 2020

Some reactions to Bonevac's lecture.

1) The only place where postmodernism continues to hold influence is among leftist academics and politics, e.g. gender studies, ethnic studies, a portion of BLM, Antifa rhetoric (talk by self-identified folk - make no claim as to whether a "movement" as such exists), revisionist history, etc. etc.

2) Yes!! to Quine.

3) the enlightenment slide — my alternative, with a totally different meaning of "enlightenment:"

*Enlightenment*

There is independent Truth.

There is no independent objective knowledge of IT - only direct, unmediated, apprehension.

Reason is the Great Deceiver!

Acting rationally, as if the actor and her reason had any effect, is attached action and ensures failure and misery.

davew