[FRIAM] "certain codes of conduct"

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 11:16:46 EDT 2020

Other Eric adds some interesting layers to add to the discussion!

"society is set up to need a permanent underclass, with limited and
> preferably little bargaining power"

I agree with this.  Societies *could *be set up in lots of ways, but ours
*is* designed to have a chunk of the population at severe bargaining
disadvantage at any given time. In that sense, there is
permanently-an-underclass. My only contention would be that (outside the
current apocalypse) membership in that underclass is more dynamic than most
give it credit for. So there is not a-permanent-underclass, in the sense of
multi-generational poverty being ubiquitous.

I remember being surprised, for example, by the data showing "Between the
ages of 25 and 60, over 60% of the population at some point sees an annual
income that puts them in the bottom 20% of earners. About 40% will live for
a year or more in the bottom 10%..... 70% of Americans will spend at least
a year in the top 20% of income by the time they are 60.":
https://money.com/six-in-ten-americans-will-experience-poverty/ .
Personally, that seems to me like a staggeringly high percentage of people
to have at least one really bad year and at least one really good year.
(Caveat on the limits of induction: Of course, a chunk of that data is
looking at people who are 60+ now, and there is no guarantee that those
numbers give a good prediction for people who are 25 now.)

It is certainly interesting to know that some societies with
ostensible caste systems are much more rigid than others.

The power curve thing is also interesting. The larger and richer society
the larger the disparities, even if on that basis alone. Similarly, the
larger the poker tournament, the larger the gap in earnings between first
place and all the rest.

<echarles at american.edu>