[FRIAM] vaccine

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 23 11:32:33 EDT 2020

How many people on this list would take an approved (assume all standard procedures predated the approval) COVID vaccine if one were available?

I'll hazard a guess that it would be close to 90%.

A recent survey showed the percentages of those who would refuse a free government approved vaccine:

19%   —  of Democrats
24%   —  of 18-29 year olds
30%  —  of people 65 and older
33%  —  white Americans
35%  —  large-city residents
41%  —  non-white Americans
44%  —  rural/farm residents
53%  — Republicans

Comments about how this proves the intelligence of Democrats over Republicans are not very interesting, even if the urge is overwhelming. Nor, comments about youth feeling invulnerable.

Why so many old people?

Why so many non-white people?

Why so many large-city residents?

How can the claim continue to be made that a vaccine is the only way to "return to normal?"

How many of you that sheltering-in-place will be happy to emerge into a world where maybe a third of the population declines to be vaccinated?

How many of you would be in favor of mandatory vaccinations?

Full disclosure: I would decline a vaccination, just as I have never had a flu shot and just as I would never take a statin drug.

davew