[FRIAM] words for Nick (political-words focused)

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 23 22:36:13 EDT 2020

The year I lived in Japan, I ate sushi so much that I lost all appetite for it for a couple of decades. But my acceptance level has returned. It is quite tasty. I especially like raw tuna. I have had Fugu and the tingling sensation on lips and tongue is incomparable to any other dish. On two occasions I ate live fish, once in a tofu soup heated at your table; the fish burrowing into the tofu cubes to avoid the heat, then you toss back the tofu. The other time was catching a small fish with your chopsticks, dipping it in a hot sauce and tossing it back. As it wiggled down your throat the hot sauce felt like burning lava, then the heat exploded and you did not even notice the rest of the fish you ate.

One of the wonders of being an anthropologist is eating exotic foods in order not to insult your hosts.

davew