[FRIAM] New ways of understanding the world

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 12:43:24 EST 2020

I like the reference to structure, but not the reference to "in the beginning", which smacks of foundationalism.

Unfortunately, I can't agree with Nick, even ignoring convergence. I am anti-foundationalist. So appeals to a universal logic are problematic. I think I ahdere to a fairly standard understanding of "logic" as fundamentally about *consequence*, what is guaranteed to obtain, what is likely to obtain, and what is so incoherent as to be unconsiderable. And it's importantly *syntactic*, not necessarily semantic. Logic needs no referent. Reason, however, does need a referent. Reason relies on logic, but is not limited by it.

This maps to the idea of structure. Logic is really just the distinction between what fits together and what doesn't fit together. That's all it is. There is no "right thinking", only whether or not you're following the rules of the game or not. And it remains to be seen if there is a universal logic. But there is a fantastic website for it: https://www.uni-log.org/

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ