[FRIAM] wackos

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:20:04 EST 2020

The "in our lives" part *should* have given my meaning. Obviously it did not. Whatever.

But one who hooks their identity to their outsider-ness, then complains about non-outsiders may not be *technically* guilty of ethnocentrism. But that smacks of sophistry. All we need do is look at the "Revenge of the Nerds" series and the rise of the modern "nerd culture" to see that. You are only as outsider as you *choose* to be. We can choose not to listen to those around us. Not to see them as fellow outsiders. Or we can *pretend* that we're the select elite with special feelings of outsider-ness ... persecution complex?

The reality is we all feel that way *most* of the time. This is the primary insight from social media. All we see in posts from "influencers" are the views from their "good side" ... sucking in their bellies on the beach in Belize ... adhering to their fad diet ... smiling ... What we DON'T see is selfies of them after downing a whole bag of cookies because their life is totally empty and they're about to commit suicide.

We all *feel* like outsiders. That's part of the modern condition.  And it's very sad that many of us lack the empathy to see through the mirage.

As to the wak culture I feel most comfortable in, that's the metal [sub]culture. Our flags and common dress are well known, tend toward earthy colors, particularly black. Satanic imagery. Particular ways of dancing. Tests of "street cred" by mentioning obscure artists, festivals, events, or styles (like downtuning). Etc. That this culture is *viewed* as wacko was evidenced by the "Satanic Panic" of the '80s and '90s and continues today in some ways. We've clawed our way to respectability over time as a sibling to other geek/outsider [sub]cultures. As for my own outsider-ness, I still don't fit that well, even there. One fellow member gave me the "side eye" when I told him I had switched from math rock and industrial to psytrance as my background music for programming grooves.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ