[FRIAM] Personified/anthropomorphized software (was Re: New ways of understanding the world)

glen ep ropella gepr at tempusdictum.com
Wed Dec 2 11:53:21 EST 2020

It's not about people's belief they understand the software. And I can't speak to Dave's motivation for believing it's the Best Way. But I can describe ways that this style of design produces better software than other styles.

We've talked on list quite a bit about agency, hallmarks of living systems, complexity buzzwords like attractors, and far-from-equilibrium, etc. By treating software components as Kantian ends, rather than means, helps ensure *distribution* of computational effort/cost. Wrapping each component in its own ball of responsibility/duty/self-interest helps the designer play the game, on a long-term basis, of "logic, logic, where is the logic".

The traditional systems engineering approach attempts to distribute logic according to a modernist kind of planning the whole thing out, a waterfall process where you spend lots of upstream time planning, get a blueprint, parcel out effort to subcontractors, verify, test, deploy, maintain. This works, but not for long, and not for massive heterogeneous systems.

The newer approaches like "agile", "continuous delivery", "devops", "code as data", etc. are evolutionary steps from waterfall in the right direction. But the limit point is to eventually have every unit of computation carry with it, its own context, its own "closure". Such "personification" is an effective heuristic for doing (and remembering to do) that.

--
glen ep ropella 971-599-3737