[FRIAM] How Prestige Journals Remain Elite, Exclusive And Exclusionary | beSpacific

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:33:36 EST 2020

> “Nature might as well post a sign that says "LMICs scientists not welcome here", said Catherine Kyobutungi, Executive Director at the African Population and Health Research Center. “Nature is out of touch with reality. It is a daily struggle for institutions like ours to financially support our researchers to pay open access fees. A few funders pay these fees but only for papers coming out of projects they have funded. I don't know in which world Nature thinks it's okay to charge fees equal to or more than the small grants many LMICs researchers can access,” she added.

It's not well-summed-up by "prestige". This topic came up in FriAM, recently, wherein I objected to purchasing a proprietary tool to replicate the research of another group, preferring a tool that *is* more available to LMIC researchers like R. It was amazing to me that I had to make this argument at all, much less the privileged counter-arguments being made, e.g. that ~$1000/yr for that software wasn't significant compared to what I was being paid. I'd much rather donate $1000/yr to the R Foundation than propagate the pay-to-play game being offered.

There's bound to be a similar model for publications.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ