[FRIAM] where are the "patriot hackers"?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:57:02 EST 2020

Hi,Glen,

No, I think you've straw-manned it.  EricS assumes only that, ==> IFF <== if there are any stable rules of experience, that scientific practice are those that will get you to them.  Not to hang this on EricS, but in my rendering of the idea, it is a tautology.  Scientific practices are just those that bring us to the most stable formulations of experience.  Peirce is quite content fundamentally with the notion that all experience is random.  However, from his perspective, it seems not always to be the case, and those cases, he thinks, should be a great interest to organisms trying  to make their way in the flow of experience.  Like you and me, for instance.  Note that in my formulation above, if drug use, or meditation, or standing in large crowds cheering for Trump, can result in conceptualizations that endure and hold their shape despite the heavy grinding of scientific practice, then, I have to admit conceptualizations so derived to the company of scientific conceptualizations.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/