[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:00:47 EST 2020

Jon,

Two things:

I really LIKE what you are doing, here.

..but.I don’t quite get it, yet.  I think it’s closely related to my take on the IOWA thing, which was that the phenomenon of interest was our out rage that the democratic process hadn’t been so rigged that we could have the results before we put out the dog and brung in the cat (or was it put out the cat, and brung in the dog; even when I had cats and dogs, I never knew which), and gave the babies one more tuck before we ourselves went to bed.  The funniest thing I ever heard was the 538 blog trying to use up the half hour they had booked with their audience.  Instead of saying, “Sorry, folks, we got nothing; go to bed early and get a good night’s sleep, for once,” they tried to turn the fact that they had nothing into a political event warranting their prescribed time slot.  I was almost as humiliating as when Rachel Maddow tried to turn a fragment of one of Trump’s tax returns into a 43 minute saga.  If ever there were a case of the media tail wagging the political dog, this would be it.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love these people.  Am addicted to them.  But it’s when your friends do stupid things that it REALLY hurts.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/