[FRIAM] Eric Smith's interview on Jim Rutt's podcast

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Feb 11 17:31:31 EST 2020

Thanks Steve,

Yes, there is a certain thread of literature and experience that is always in my mind on this topic.

It began some years ago when David Krakauer waved a copy of Richard Novikovsky’s book Games of No Chance in front of me, and that was my introduction to the modern work that had been done at MSRI Berkeley on combinatorial games.  All during my time at SFI, I was interested in finding some good merger of the low-dimensional but nonzero-sum games the economists almost-exclusively deal with, with the literature on combinatorial games that does much better at capturing what makes a problem “hard” to solve, as opposed to “hard” to clearly frame.

Somehow — and I don’t remember who played what role in it — we had Elwyn Berlekamp out to SFI for a couple of days, and I hosted him.  It was like a visit from Erdos.  After about 48 hours everyone else was worn out and Elwyn was going strong.  But it started me reading a string of books by him and other MSRIers on mathematical Go, other work on mathematizing games, and also Conway’s On Numbers and Games, which I never put in the effort to understand but which Cris Moore understands through and through.

All that stuff is delightful, and I have wished to get to understanding it well enough to have new ideas in that space.  But have not done so yet.  Most interesting to me from Elwyn’s visit, and not contained in the books, was the experimental work he had done with world-champion-level Go players, to determine whether the values of game positions that he had derived from the mathematicization were pertinent to those that guided the players choices, and he claimed there was good agreement between the two.  I haven’t tried to track down any literature that may ever have come out of that, and I didn’t get references from Elwyn at the time to even write down.  From high-wattage people like that, there is just so much that comes across so fast, you can’t live enough lives in parallel to keep up with it.

But, it would be great to see some of those interests revived and developed further.  They seem to have so much promise not yet realized.  I wish there were anything concrete I could offer you by way of either ideas or references, but sadly I have none.

All best,

Eric