[FRIAM] Coronavirus vs Flu

_ Bruno W wbruno at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 19:36:58 EST 2020

Hey George, First of all, thanks for hosting the wonderful party and thanks
to Sherry too!

I agree with your statement.  I'm hopeful this thing will pan out much like
SARS did.
I've followed with interest the "conspiracy theories" that the virus
actually leaked from
the BSL 4 lab there which houses hundreds of bats, presumably for SARS
corona virus research.
Over a dozen of the initial 44 cases have no link to the fish market, and
it's thought the common ancestor
of those cases dates back to October 2019.  When I was at LANL I analyzed
the SARS genome and
it actually had a cloning site (which could have happened by chance, but
most coronaviruses didn't have it).
There was a university research lab at that time near the center of the
outbreak that was doing cross
species infection experiments between chickens and monkeys.  The SARS virus
had similarity to both
kinds of corona virus.  That theory got knocked down when I found other
sequences in GenBank from pig that
looked more similar to SARS than anything else, and eventually when the
Chinese isolated SARS in bats.  But I thought
it was strange that a year after the outbreak when the WHO was worried it
might come back, China seemed sure
it would not and lifted the restrictions on civet cats in the markets.