[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 12:35:32 EST 2020

Hi, Eric, ‘n all,

Thanks for the citation.

Here’s where I think we need you. I think Dave West and others in the group are interested in the notion of truth beyond experience, or truth in extraordinary experience, or truth found through drugs or pain, or through intense meditations, or when dreaming or at the threshold of death or (as I would put it) at other times when the system isn’t fully functioning.  My prejudices tell me that these folks, among them my dearest colleagues,  are descending down the Jamesian Rat Hole.  We need you because you are both more knowledgeable about William James than I am and more forgiving.  I suspect you may be able to … um … modulate the rather harsh sentiment expressed below.

First, let me stipulate that all experiences endured under extremis ARE experiences and can (by abduction) be the origin of good hunches.  I give you, courtesy of my great wisdom AND Wikipedia, Kekule’s dream.

Here is a wonderful example of an extreme experience that “proved out”.   “Proved out” means that when the chemist worked out all the practicial implications of the abduction that benzene was a ring, and carried those implications into laboratory practice, his expectations were confirmed.

What I object to is the notion that such experiences in extremis are ==>in principle<== more likely to be true than ordinary ones, or, further, that there is any way to confirm the implications of one experience except through further experiences.

Let me put this as clearly as I can.

Transcendence = bullpucky

Nick

PS :  Eric:  Please stop using the word “practical” and adopt the more accurate term, “practicial”.  “Practical” was a mistake when Peirce used it, and is a mistake everytime you use it.  Peirce an you are both referring to consequences to knowledge-gathering practices, broadly conceived.  The pragmatic maxim of meaning should be,

Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practicial bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our conception of these effects is the whole of our conception of the object.

Pps:  Do I have more or less evidence that Christ Existed than I do that Marcus exists.  I have never met either of them, but of both, I can say, “I have read a lot of his writings and I know a lot of people who believe in him and speak highly of him. “ What would constitute indoubitable proof of the Existence of Marcus.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/