[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 11:16:08 EST 2020

David,

Well, Peirce begins with the premise that doubt is a painful state and  that violation of expectations leads to doubt.  Let say, for a moment, that you were wired up so that doubt is a joyful state.  That would lead you across the map of experience by a very different route than  I am led.  Now even Peirce admits that  a little bit of doubt can be diverting.  He has an example of passing time between connections at a train station by entertaining doubts as to the best route to take from one city to another.  So, the doubt-pleasure-doubt-pain thing seems to be a dimension, even in Peirce.  Heck, even I enjoy a little bit of doubt in my life.  But from my years-ago reading of Castenada and talking to people who enjoyed hallucinogens, I am pretty sure taking drugs would too much doubt for this old apollonian.

Now this would explain why Peirce is of so little use to you. The test for reality for Peirce is predictability.  In my discussion, and perhaps Eric’s, we have been asking you to apply that test to your experiences.  I E, if your experiences in extremis don’t lead to a capacity to predict better and experience less doubt, then to hell with them.  But if you love doubt, then Peirce’s pragmaticism is of no use to you.  Am I getting closer?

But there is another possibility.  Konrad Lorenz, the ethologist who won a Nobel with Tinbergen and vonFrisch, loved to talk about the “Innate School Marm”.  I think of her as sitting at the head of the room, with a box of tiny but potent candies on her desk.  Every time a student does something “good”, she gives him or her one of these little candies.  Now, the brain (OH GOD HERE I AM A BEHAVIORIST TALKING ABOUT THE BRAIN) seems to be wired up like the I.S.M.  It has at its disposal a pot of pleasure from which it doles out little dollops as we go through our day.  When we take drugs, it’s like the day when the bad boys in the class stole the box of candies, locked themselves in the storeroom, and consumed them all at once.   You have overthrown the Innate School Marm.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/