[FRIAM] speaking of drugs

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:46:46 EST 2020

Very nice links! I also wonder if Wim Hoff hyperventilating and the borderline pseudoscience stuff surrounding the vagus nerve are relevant, here. There's data surrounding chronic pain that suggest a familiarity with pain, reduces its prevalence. I *believe* (but haven't looked into it), that it's not merely habituation to the pain. I think the mobility fosters some mechanistic processes that reduce both the pain and its causes.

When I used to run long distances, I never really experienced a recognizable "runner's high". But I did go into something like fugue states that may be akin to a psychedelic. Sometimes I'd come out of the run with a solution to a work problem. But there was also a period where I began to believe in magic/witchcraft. I was running like 6 miles per weekday and longer on the weekend days. That feeling/belief faded drastically later in the day (I work out fasted in the mornings) and disappeared completely if I skipped a day. My "sober" self later in the day literally (yes, literally) scoffed at the silly beliefs of my running self.

Despite that story, I think you're onto something with the parallax. Tools (phone apps, sticky notes, etc.) that help remind one of issues/objectives/problems while in multiple various states might be interesting.

--
☣ uǝlƃ