[FRIAM] Fwd: climate change questions

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jan 4 11:47:11 EST 2020

Merle -

Thanks for introducing the Complexity and Climate meeting you organized
last month to the Friam contingent.   The meeting was a transformative
experience for me.   While I was already highly attuned to the
challenges addressed at the meeting both personally and professionally,
meeting our European (and specifically the Swedish core of the
contingent) and seeing how positively and progressively they (and the
broader culture of northern Europe or at least Scandinavia) are
approaching these problems was very heartening.   Most of those we met
were already systems thinkers and many were already familiar with some
of the more esoteric aspects of Complexity Science such as scale free
networks and bifurcation points in dynamical systems and seemed highly
receptive to new and potentially more subtle/complex ways of thinking
about the problems they are grappling with.

The most notable takeaway for me perhaps, was realizing how much more
"humanist" the Scandinavian Scientists (Europeans in general?) are and
how much our current problems  are fundamentally ONLY addressable
through significant and sweeping paradigm changes at many levels, from
the individual to the global, across politics, economics, and
socio-cultural domains.   Stephen and I have been discussing these
observations and following up with some of the folks we met there on
more specific ideas and possible projects to advance this thoughtfully
but without delay.

 - Steve