[FRIAM] Fwd: NO LANL IN SANTA FE! Wednesday, 12; 00 outside SF City Hall; bring friends

Angel Edward edward.angel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:54:26 EST 2020

I agree with your observations. The problem is that your fix is exactly what is happening with our best students. They leave.

For those of us concerned with economic development is a state which leads in childhood poverty, the labs are not an asset, largely because of precisely the points we agree on. And that’s not commenting on the ethical issues or on whether society at large should support the labs through our taxes.

One helpful fix for the state/city is not to consider the labs as a source of expertise on economic development.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	edward.angel at gmail.com
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel