[FRIAM] Murdoch and Trump

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Mon Jan 20 23:06:23 EST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:22:42AM +0100, Jochen Fromm wrote:

> I could even imagine that we burn so much fossil fuels that there will be
> regions where we have a lack of Oxygen. Earth was like this many million years
> ago.

That might take a few centuries. There's several hundred years of
known coal reserves at current rates of consumption. It is sobering to
think that all Oxygen in the air is of biogenic origin (some 22% of
the air) and that at some point in the past, that oxygen was bound up
in carbon dioxide. If we burnt all the carbon buried in the ground,
we'd have no oxygen left.

Clearly, we have to leave most of the fossil fuel in the ground. And
we have good reasons to start moving away from using it today. Opening
up new mega-coal mines like our current Australian Government is keen
on doing, is simply madness.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au