[FRIAM] Murdoch and Trump

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Wed Jan 22 02:59:17 EST 2020

Yep, I would go for this one. IMO we are involved in a collective process
where communication, reason, and action are indeed possible and
flourishing. Sure there are risks, climate change being one but not the
only one. Humanity is still very fragile and vulnerable to existential
risks like climate change, a big meteor or comet hitting the earth, a big
sun flare causing major damage to our electricity distribution networks,
new very dangerous, and others. The end could come before I finish this
sentence. But on the positive side if you observe the progress that has
happened, I am very optimistic that we are on the path towards a better
future.
I am a big fan of David Deutsch. Apart from him being part of having
developed the first quantum computer algorithm (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch%E2%80%93Jozsa_algorithm) , his views
on infinite progress as per his book The Beginning of Infinity resonates
very well with me.
I quote about the book from wikipedia (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beginning_of_Infinity)
“Deutsch views the Enlightenment of the 18th century as near the beginning
of an infinite sequence of purposeful knowledge creation. Knowledge here
consists of information with good explanatory function that has proven
resistant to falsification. Any real process is physically possible to
perform provided the knowledge to do so has been acquired. The
Enlightenment set up the conditions for knowledge creation which disrupted
the static societies that previously existed. These conditions are the
valuing of creativity and the free and open debate that exposed ideas to
criticism to reveal those good explanatory ideas that naturally resist
being falsified due to their having basis in reality. Deutsch points to
previous moments in history, such as Renaissance Florence and
Plato's Academy in Golden Age Athens, where this process almost got
underway before succumbing to their static societies' resistance to change.”

Pieter