[FRIAM] Abduction and Introspection

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 15:45:30 EST 2020

Hi, Glen,

At FRIAM today, some of us  were talking with wonder and gratitude about your extra-ordinary ability to read and comment on what others write.  I wish you would come here some day so we can buy you coffee. Also, fwiw, let me say, in this public forum, that I owe you commentary on any writing you are doing that you need commentary on.

As to the issue of inter-component monitoring, I am  not sure we'll get into it much in this article because the monitoring of one component by another seems to me "other-perception", as I understand it.  Here is how I made the argument some years back, in https://www.researchgate.net/publication/311349078_The_many_perils_of_ejective_anthropomorphism:

p. 87.

I have always longed to know that an actual computer scientist would say about this inexpert speculation.  How WOULD you wire a computer to assess its own “state”.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/