[FRIAM] John Baez on Noether

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:00:31 EDT 2020

Wow, that was a nice read, full of Faustian offers and quotes as perplexing
as they are enticing: “inverse temperature is imaginary time”. A big
remaining question for me, after reading, is how Heisenberg uncertainty
(where the Lie bracket ought to not be zero†) plays with the Noether's
theorem characterization in terms of a zero Lie bracket. Does this somehow
get resolved by passing from the observables picture to the generators
picture, is it that the transformation of Jordan algebras into Lie Algebras
offers more wiggle room? When I get a moment, I should probably just sit
down and read the arxiv paper.

†)
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/10362/how-does-non-commutativity-lead-to-uncertainty

--