[FRIAM] Where Are Coronavirus Cases Getting Worse? Explore Risk Levels County By County : Shots - Health News : NPR

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:51:21 EDT 2020

To the extent we believe *selfishly first* to be the rule, we probably
shouldn't bother with that argument for masks either. Some don't drive to
reduce the world's carbon footprint, possibly shifting the balance of power
in favor of those that would produce larger ecological destruction if they
could benefit at all. The working poor, especially in the service sector,
will continue to foot the bill of our collective actions, and those that
break quarantine to travel from red to green counties for vacation will
continue to exact this transaction.

The experience of this pandemic and our ongoing discussion of *free will*
make me wonder about the ethics of schadenfreude. As I watch the ineptitude
of my political representatives (expert scientists not exempt), blundering
their way past 1/4 of the world's recorded COVID deaths (512K versus 129K),
I can't help but think about RogerC's comment regarding
*great-great-great-grand-dad*. What are the ethics of preparing to profit
from investments in realty, vacant storefronts, and other possible niches
created in the wake of COVID deaths? If 1700s America had Amazon, how could
I reason about the ethics of allowing Amazon to profit excessively
disproportionately on the slave trade? On the one hand, I would feel shame
from the purchasing of another human being, on the other I would feel shame
to allow all power to concentrate into a pool from which it may never again
be liberated. Must it always be the case that to the most exploitative goes
the spoils?

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/