[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Sat Jul 4 19:06:00 EDT 2020

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:09 PM Frank Wimberly <wimberly3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hired an Amazon editor.  She said, I say boastfully, "There were
> virtually no spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors so let's talk about
> structural issues..."[image: Proofreading mark insert period symbol]

Insert period before three trailing ellipsis points. How much did you pay
your Amazon editor?   ;-p

MLA style places <https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html> the
sentence-terminating period immediately after the last word of the
quotation, even though a period does not occur there in the original
material. The three ellipsis points are then placed after this
sentence-terminating period.

eg

Thoreau argues that by simplifying one’s life, “the laws of the universe
will appear less complex. . . .”