[FRIAM] The theory of everything

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 17:03:42 EDT 2020

Sorry.  I may not be worth your effort, here.  I just don’t understand what you said.

Let it be the case that as we examine the history of species, there are repeated (and therefore predictable) pathways through which they pass.  A lineage of any sort, entering the water at some historical stage becomes more streamlined, let’s say.  Because streamlining is characteristic of creatures that move through water, we say that any such lineage has adapted to life in water.   Thus, in my way of thinking, to evolve [phylogenetically]in this case is to become more like creatures that move through water.   I have never been entirely clear what this additional constraint, ADAPTED phyletic descent, constitutes.  I have been writing for many years, and I have been challenged on many points, but nobody has challenged me on this one, To put the question baldly, wtf is natural design, anyway, as a descriptive property.  Please don’t answer that design is, whatever designers produce, because that is an example of a tethered description, and leaves us with nothing to say about the good that ‘designers” produce in the world.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/