[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Sun Jul 5 19:47:50 EDT 2020

Thanks but the story is more complex.

What transpired is in retrospect somewhat amusing. I received an email from someone at a university that was using the book asking if I knew there was a ps file on the web of the whole book. I checked it out, contacted the instructor who had it taken down. I had no idea how anyone had obtained a perfect copy of the book. Even during copyediting, I never was given access to a final ps version with even the typesetting marks. My editor started a big investigation at Pearson to see who had violated security during production only to find out after weeks that the people at Pearson who dealt with accessibility issues were sending out the file to every school that adopted the book (at the time around 200 just in the US).

What is odd to me is that the last time I checked libgen.io <http://libgen.io/>, which was a while ago, the version there was not a ps version put a pdf in which you could use the TOC interactively so I figured it was the kindle version which my editor, who had become somewhat expert at this, showed me how easy it is to get the kindle version. Apparently what is the the situation now is that the ps version is libgen.is <http://libgen.is/> so someone else must have uploaded it.

The material on the Indian decision on respect to fair use was very interesting. I was familiar with the fair use policies in the U.S. and the U.K. In spirit, they are the same. However, the problem is not fair use but with sites like libgen, where anyone can upload a file irrespective of copyright or ownership  That file is then available worldwide to everyone. Consequently, the holders of the copyright have no protection at all other than some people having ethical issues with libgen. Sadly, I find many of my colleagues and students do not see this as an ethical issue.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>