[FRIAM] The theory of everything

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 01:43:10 EDT 2020

Eric,

Ok. So I have read your post and, while I still don’t understand everything you write, you seem to understand my question precisely and answer it voluminously.  We know what natural design is and it is a property of the relation between things and their environments, which individual organisms can instantiate but not by themselves exhibit.   To be humiliatingly honest, I had no awareness of the literature that you cite when I asked the question.  Nor, given the highly technical nature of that literature do I imagine I ever will.

So, I have simply to put myself at your mercy and ask, Has anybody used that concept of natural design predictively? If I understand Darwin’s theory correctly, it asserts that better designed organisms should have more offspring than those less well designed.

How does such an understanding of natural design handle such phenomena as the grossly hypertrophied plumage of some birds, or the extraordinary masculinized genitalia of the female spotted hyena, etc.  Are these instances of bad design?  I am hoping that the answer is yes, because they certainly seem like bad designs to me.  Thus, the contrary, that natural selection always produces natural design, is not validated and we need additional constructs if we are to accurately predict what natural selection produces.

Thanks, as always, for your taking the time.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/