[FRIAM] Book publishing advice needed

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Tue Jul 7 10:46:29 EDT 2020

At least at CMU there are people competent enough to make decisions about the merits of faculty work. At one point at UNM, the intellectual property person at UNM declared that any software we produced, even for a class, had to be turned over to him and he would make the decision as to whether or not it had commercial potential before we could put it on our websites.The guy knew nothing about software and was also pretty incompetent as a IP lawyer.

Long ago I was an expert witness on a case in which the Feds went after someone who had manipulated the thermostats in a Sandia building.They were using pretty draconian computer hacking laws to go after him. We were able to convince the prosectors to drop the case at least partly on the argument that almost everything has an embedded processor so their argument would convert thousands of actions into computer crimes.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>