[FRIAM] invoking quantum woo (was Book publishing advice needed)

∄ uǝlƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:44:11 EDT 2020

EricS said it well enough, I think, quoted below for easy cf. I'll try to restate including a comment Firestein makes on Darwinism. The point is a kind of hindsight fallacy, where prior to the shift, we were confused and argumentative and after the shift we are (mostly) in consensus. That shift, if relatively modern so that documents exist, brings 2 things: 1) foundation that we can simply/thinly accept as true without arguing our lips off and 2) transparency - *if* we need to reconstruct the foundation from "first principles", we have people/documents we can use to do so [α]. Obviously, an at-will-reconstructable foundation is more founded than an assumed to be solid foundation.

Re Darwin, Firestein says: "As a quick sidelight this explains modern biology's debt to Darwin. You often hear that contemporary biology could not exist without the explanatory power of Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection. But it is rarely made clear why this must be the case. Do physicians, for example, really have to believe in evolution to treat sick people? They do, at least implicitly, because the use of model systems to study more complicated ones relies on the relatedness of all biological organisms, us included. It is the process of evolution, the mechanisms of genetic inheritance and occasional mutation, that have conserved the genes responsible for making the proteins that confer electrical activity on neurons, as well as those that make kidneys and livers, and hearts and lungs work they way they do. If that were not the case, then we couldn't study these things in worms, flies, rats, mice, or monkeys and believe that it would have relevance to humans. There would be no drugs, no surgical procedures, no treatments, and no diagnostic tests. All of these have been developed using model systems ranging from cell sin culture dishes to rodents to primates. No evolution, no model systems, no progress."

Obviously, he takes some liberties there. It is a book [ptouie] after all, not a paper. I hope people won't go ranting off into the void because of them. But the gist is good. Now, to move toward your position, *IF* you allow for both Darwinism *and* your phenomenal path integral (regardless of mechanism), then you could argue that the addition of that purely physical principle to evolution facilitates EVEN MORE of what Firestein describes above. [α] I.e. adding this extra component to the description of living systems may (HELP) get us from small problems (vortices) to large problems (cultural evolution). Of course, if you insist on denigrating and devaluing evolution, as you seem to want to do, then I'll abandon you to stew in your own juices. >8^D

How was that? Will you buy me a pint? Or jeer at me from a distance?

[α][δ] I'm reminded of the recent experiments contradicting (but not fully falsifying) pilot wave theory.

[β] Sideline to this supercool result that popped off my queue the other day:
A continuous reaction network that produces RNA precursors
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/24/13267

[δ] Jon has convinced me to expand my list of footnote symbols!

--
☣ uǝlƃ