[FRIAM] TETRAD

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:53:42 EDT 2020

That’s impressive!

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> On Behalf Of Frank Wimberly
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 11:19 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: [FRIAM] TETRAD

Joe Ramsey took over my work on the TETRAD project in the Philosophy Department at Carnegie Mellon when I left.  It's a major project to develop software for doing statistical causal reasoning.  Sometimes correlation is causation.

Joe just posted this in Facebook:

I didn't know if it was OK to say yet, but word is getting out, so I guess it's OK. A project I've been working on for the last 20 years in the Philosophy Department at Carnegie Mellon, TETRAD, was just selected as one of four winners of the prestigious SAIL award. It's a great honor. Ours was a "leading" award. There were 800 projects that applied for consideration.

EDIT: This has been a long-running project, started by Clark Glymour, Peter Spirtes and Richard Scheines some 10 years before I started on it. We've had considerable help along the way as well. So it's definitely been a group effort!

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505