[FRIAM] invoking quantum woo (was Book publishing advice needed)

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sun Jul 12 17:11:18 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Though it might take some digging to find, there was an entertaining
> lecture
> given by Hans Bethe (in what looks like a nursing home) on quantum
> mechanics. He departs from the main thread of the lecture at one point to
> go
> on a diatribe about how bad-faith actors continue to mystify what he sees
> be directly calculable[ϡ]. It seems important to me to not confuse an
> inability to understand some phenomena for a lack of imagination.
>
> [...]
>
> ϡ) The video once lived here: http://bethe.cornell.edu/video1_small.html
> but
> alas I cannot find another source. Here
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oggC_xhkdJA Bethe talks briefly about the
> wave-particle controversy and he talks about the controversy in terms of
> power and authority.

The Bethe videos are linked on the front page of https://bethe.cornell.edu
and they're very good.

I especially liked the derivation of the uncertainty principle through the
limitations on representing a free particle with a fourier series, done
with no math worth mentioning.  8:06 in video 3.

-- rec --