[FRIAM] invoking quantum woo (was Book publishing advice needed)

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Mon Jul 13 08:27:51 EDT 2020

Jon --

Can you clarify where you heard:

He departs from the main thread of the lecture at one point to go
> on a diatribe about how bad-faith actors continue to mystify what he sees
> be directly calculable[ϡ]. It seems important to me to not confuse an
> inability to understand some phenomena for a lack of imagination.

He says that "Bohr, Heisenberg, and Schrödinger did a disservice to people
by putting the uncertainty principle so high in their discussions" and that
led to philosophers proclaiming that everything is uncertain.  But there
are no bad faith actors there, it's just typical science journalism,
trolling for the juiciest clickbait.

He then goes on to say that the thing which _is_ completely uncertain is
the orbit of the electron in an atom.

Which is what I thought Feynman meant by:

I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Here's the lecture (https://youtu.be/41Jc75tQcB0?t=77) that contains this
statement, which is the point which the lecture is constructed to drive
home.  And here's where he asks what's really happening?
https://youtu.be/41Jc75tQcB0?t=2813  And answers exactly the same as Bethe,
there is no machinery which explains this, we can only compute the result,
we have no mechanism for the result, only a description.

Looking back, I think I bollixed my explanation.  I'm still perfectly happy
to let the math do the work, I don't seek any further interpretations of
"How can it be that way?"

-- rec --